Doctors at a government hospital in Rampurhat, West Bengal removed over 1.5 kilogram of jewellery and coins from the stomach of a mentally unstable woman on Wednesday.
As many as 90 coins of denomination Rs 5 and Rs 10, and ornaments like chains, nose rings, earrings, bangles, anklets, and wrist bands were removed from the belly of the woman, doctor Siddharatha Biswas, head of the surgery department in the Rampurhat Government Medical College and Hospital told news agency PTI.
The 26-year-old woman’s mother said she noticed ornaments had started disappearing from their village home. However, she had no idea her daughter was swallowing them at will.
“My daughter is mentally unsound. For the past few days, she used to throw up every time after having a meal. We have noticed that ornaments are disappearing. But whenever we questioned her, she started crying,” the mother said.
Biswas said the ornaments recovered were mostly made of copper but some gold jewellery was also there.
The woman’s mother added that the family used to keep a close watch on her daughter. However, she managed to swallow solid objects every time she was left alone. “She was not well for the past two months. We had taken her to various private doctors and she was on medication without any result,” the mother told the news agency.
There has been a sharp increase in medical cases where patients have been reported to swallow solid objects for reasons unknown.
Last week, doctors at a hospital in Chhatarpur, Madhya Pradesh removed 30 solid objects, including razor blades and screwdrivers, from a man’s stomach after he complained of having severe abdomen pain. The 30-year-old man, identified as Yogesh Thakur, was admitted to the hospital on July 14. After his mother, Kusma Thakur, told doctors “he would grab anything and eat it”, they immediately performed an X-Ray which revealed shocking results.
The scans were performed at MPN Khare Surgical and Maternity Nursing Home and doctors were stunned to find objects like a knife, a screwdriver, razor blades and plastics inside Yogesh’s stomach.