Ganesh Chaturthi is the most important annual festival dedicated to Lord Ganesh, also known as Ganpati, Vinayaka and several other significant names. He is hailed as Vighnaharta and hence, he is worshiped before starting a new business, job or auspicious start like marriage or Griha Pravesh.
Ganesh Chaturthi Puja preparations
Firstly, you need to purchase a clay idol of Lord Ganesha to place on the place of worship. If you follow Vastu, choose your place of worship accordingly. Then arrange the Puja Samagri which includes Supari, Long, Elaichi, Kumkum, Chawal, Nariyal, red cloth, flowers and garlands. Chatur tithi of the month of Bhadrapada will begin at 11 p.m. on August 21 and end at 7:57 p.m. on August 22. The best time for the puja is 2 hours 36 minutes in the afternoon from 11:06 a.m. to 1:42 p.m. During this time, devotees can place Lord Ganesha at home and can also organize prayers.
Ganesh Chaturthi Vidhi
When installing Lord Ganesha’s idol, make sure that the idol should be facing east or west. Devotees can purchase and bring home the idol of Lord Ganesha at any time, but it should only be installed on the puja platform during the auspicious time on Ganesha Chaturthi’s day. Before starting the Ganesha Puja, take Sankalpa and do the Deep-Prajawalan process. After installing the idol of Lord Ganesha, do Avahana (invocation of Lord Ganesha) and Pratishthapan (installation of Lord Ganesha in the statue). After this flower, vastr, fruit, water, dhup-deep offering to Lord Ganesha followed by Lord Ganesha aarti.
Ganesh Utsav 2020 Guidelines
- Idols must be purchased online.
- Idols should only be sold in allocated open spaces, not on the side of the road.
- No procession will be allowed during the arrival, installation or immersion of the idol.
- No crowding is allowed in pandals.
- The Ganesh mandals associated with the temples were urged to keep their idols in their premises to perform rituals during the festival. For other mandates, the Municipal Corporation will allocate small areas to set up pandals.
- Mandals of Ganesh were urged to install water tanks in their premises for immersion, as were residential societies for home idols. The Aarogya Setu app should be mandatory for constituents.
- Everyone present must adhere to COVID safety standards such as physical distancing and the use of masks and disinfectants. Rituals should only be performed by constituents. Devotees can witness it online, by videoconference, or members of the mandal can take videos and send them.
- Visits by devotees to pandals should be limited by an online token system. Pandals are not permitted to set up food stalls or any other stores on the premises.
- Mandals were urged to organize blood donation camps or other wellness activities instead of cultural programs, all meeting all safety standards.
- Ganesh mandates were urged not to install elaborate decorations to avoid drawing attention.
Ganesh Chaturthi Visarjan
Devotees of Lord Ganesha in Maharashtra, Goa, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and several other areas celebrate Ganeshotsav for ten days. The festival which begins on Chaturthi Tithi culminates with the visarjan on Chaturdashi Tithi. This year, Ganesh Visarjan will take place on September 1st. Lord Ganesha is the son of Mata Parvati and Lord Shiva. It symbolizes wisdom, knowledge, learning and auspiciousness. It is believed that Ganesh Chaturthi is the day Lord Ganesha first appeared. Therefore, it is believed to be the anniversary of the birth of Lord Ganesha.