The Duchess of Sussex has given birth to a 71b 30z baby boy, the Duke has confirmed. The Duke said: “I’m very excited to announce that Meghan and myself had a baby boy this morning, a very healthy baby boy.”
A beaming Prince Harry said they were “absolutely thrilled” and thanked the public for their support. He said Meghan and the baby were doing “incredibly well”, adding that they were still thinking about names for the infant, who was delivered at 05:26 BST. The ceremonial easel announcing the birth of Harry and Meghan’s newborn has now been placed in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace in London.
The notice will be on display to the public until 8 p.m. (3 p.m. ET) on Tuesday.
The bulletin reads:
The Queen and the Royal Family are delighted at the news that Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex was safely delivered of a son at 0526am today. Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well.
The baby boy is seventh in line to the throne, behind the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and his children – Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis – and Prince Harry. Speaking after the birth, Harry said the child had been “a little overdue” and that he planned to make another announcement in two days’ time “so everyone can see the baby”. Asked what it was like to be present for the birth, he laughed and said: “I haven’t been at many births. This is definitely my first birth. It was amazing, absolutely incredible, and, as I said, I’m so incredibly proud of my wife. Prime Minister Theresa May tweeted: “Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on the arrival of their baby boy. Wishing you all the best at this happy time.
Meghan’s father, Thomas Markle, congratulated the new parents and spoke of his pride at the birth. “I am proud that my new grandson is born into the British royal family and I am sure that he will grow up to serve the crown and the people of Britain with grace, dignity, and honour,” he said from his home in Mexico.