Jammu: One person died and 32 others were injured when a massive grenade blast rocked Jammu bus station at about 12 noon on Thursday. The injured were shifted to the Government Medical College (GMC) hospital. In a press conference, IGP Jammu Manish K Sinha said that the Hizbul Mujahideen was responsible for the attack. The cops arrested one Yasir Bhatt, who allegedly threw the grenade at the bus stand, just a few hours after the attack.
The bus stand is located in the heart of Jammu city and people have been asked to stay away from the spot. Police officials are on the spot and are inspecting the blast site. The blast came in the backdrop of the February 14 Pulwama terror attack. The state has been on a high alert in the aftermath of the Pulwama attack that also triggered an unprecedented escalation of tensions between India and Pakistan.
Jammu bus stand blast – HIGHLIGHTS:
– Giving details of the attack, J&K Police’s Manish K Sinha said that District Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen in Kulgam, Farooq Ahmed Bhatt alias Omar, had tasked suspect Yasir Bhatt to throw the grenade at the bus stop. The police revealed that one Mohammad Shariq of Uttarakhand’s Haridwar had died in the attack. 12 people from Jammu and 11 from Kashmir were injured in the blast which took place at around 11:50 am today, the cops said.
– In a press briefing, Jammu and Kashmir Police confirmed that Hizbul Mujahideen was responsible for the blast at Jammu bus stand. The cops said that the suspect, who was apprehended in Nagrota, had “confessed to his crime.” Teams were constituted to work on leads, CCTV camera footage examined, based on oral testimony of witnesses we were able to identify a suspect. He was detained, his name is Yasir Bhatt, he has confessed to the crime., “J&K Police’s Manish K Sinha said while addressing reporters.
– DGP Dilbagh Singh said that the person who threw the grenade at the Jammu bus stand earlier today has been arrested. Police questioning was underway. So far, cops have detained 15 peoples in connection with the case. Here is the first picture of the prime suspect.
– The number of injured has now been put at 32.
– Police are suspecting Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) hand in the grenade explosion at Jammu bus stand. 15 people have reportedly been detained.
– One of the persons injured in the Jammu bus stand blast lost his life while undergoing treatment. 30 people have been admitted to Government Medical College (GMC) hospital.
– CCTV footage accessed by Times Now shows people running in panic minutes after the grenade blast that rocked Jammu bus stand earlier today.
– As per the latest updates, 30 people have been referred to the Government Medical College (GMC). Five people are critical after they suffered splinter injuries.
– “A local investigation has been initiated into the incident. The government has already given complete liberty to the forces to take all necessary steps,” says MoS Defence Subhash Bhamre on grenade explosion at Jammu bus stand.
– “Any terrorist incident has to be condemned. What is important is that what has the Centre learnt from Pulwama. Why is our intelligence system failing?” asked AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi.
– Jammu: Visuals from a hospital where people who were injured in a blast at a bus stand have been admitted for treatment. Meanwhile the number of injured in the blast at Jammu bus stand has increased to 28.